Magens Bay --San Thomas

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Alzheimer's patients in nursing homes


Now that I am on the roll for the dementia… here is another one.

The other day, I was having lunch with a friend of mine, Coco, and she mentioned that she is volunteering at an upscale senior center for dementia elders. She revealed how these senior citizens are treated. I was saddened as I can confirm with her on what I watched on the television many years ago.

It is quite a disturbing news coverage, actually. A newscaster managed to sneak a hidden camera into one of the senior care centers and discovered the untold stories of the frail elders. The senior citizens are treated poorly in that center. They are physically abused and neglected. The most depressing part is that none of them remember enough to retell these sad stories to their visiting family members. So, the stories remained untold until they was caught on tape.

I told the tales to both of my girls and had them promise me that they would never put me or my husband in those centers if we were having dementia problems.  – wait! Coconut oil is the answer. (If you have not, see previous post 'I will be your memory or not' )

Having said that, let’s make sure that we exercise our brains, go to ballroom dances (Believe it or not, they actually help!), and have strong social networks so that our brains would never decide to take a long vacation to someplace far, far away and forget the way back home.

Here is a video that I found on youtube –just another case of elder abuse...


Until next stop,
Journey of Life

No comments:

Post a Comment