Magens Bay --San Thomas

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

The-writers-post-blog-hop55

This week, I am so fortunate to host Thursday Blog Hop for The Writers’ Post!!  And  the prompt is...



 Half empty or half full ... Your choice ..

Scientifically, whichever way you look at it, the volumes stay the same. The glass contains half of the liquid, so it could be half empty or half full. But, if we look at things philosophically, it is totally a different issue.

Have you ever met people in your life where all they focusing on are nothing but negative? Especially things about us, it doesn’t feel good. I don’t know about you, but I refuse to take it. Sometimes I simply walk away from the conversation.

A child came home and said “Mom, I have gotten A on my test today.” “What is your score?” Mom asked. “92, is that awesome or what?” the child answered. “I see. You have missed 8 points. What did you miss?” Mom continued.

Have we ever been in that situation or heard the above? The focus here was what the child had missed instead of what the child had accomplished. We may not realize this, but the impact could be dreadful. We are teaching our children to focus on what the child has failed to do instead of what the child had accomplished. I guess I am not saying that we shouldn’t learn from the mistakes. In fact, that is as valuable as realizing what we have accomplished. That mom simply could have acknowledged the child’s accomplishment then find a moment to learn from the mistakes.

We have been surrounded by negativity and sometimes we turn into one ourselves, especially when things are not going the way we had hoped.  Sometimes, we tend to see the world through a negative perspective, focusing on the bad and ignoring the good.There is a positive aspect in everything. In every person, in every situation, there is something good.  Most of the time, it’s not all that obvious. We just have to look and sometimes we have to look hard.

A positive attitude leads to contentment and achievement. It can amend our whole life. If we look at the bright side of life, our whole life becomes filled with brightness. This brightness affects not only us and the way we look at the world, but also our surrounding and the people around us. If it is powerful enough, it becomes infectious. Let’s pause for a moment in our life and spread the positive attitude and be infectious!

Until next stop,
Journey of Life

18 comments:

  1. Great post Angela-- I do like this topic. Thank you for hosting this week!!

    I agree-- a positive outlook in general is so important especially when raising children. Looking at the positives and not the negatives--and it is not that you can't address something that isn't positive--just the opposite-- I've learned there are ways to certain situations with kids where you can focus on "what I can do" to turn a negative situation (failing grade) around. It is a delicate thing, but can be done.

    Cheers, Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I really believe when come to kids, we always have to keep our positive thinking hats.

      Delete
  2. Perspective is everything, isn't it, Angela? Much food for thought here. A great prompt and I'm looking forward to writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A perfect pre-Thanksgiving post, Angela. To (more or less) quote Wayne Dyer, "If you change the way you look at things, the way things look will change." Love the topic. Can't wait to share my thoughts on it. Stay tuned! And Happy Thanksgiving! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Happy Thanksgiving (I can't believe it is around the corner already.) and can't wait to read yours, Daphne!

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful illustration of the topic at hand. Perfectionists tend to ignore the good and worry about what they have missed. So sad. I look forward to writing for this topic!!♥

    Kathy
    http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I have couple of perfectionists at my nest :-) and I totally know how what you are talking about.

      Delete
  5. Great post with a wonderful message. I'm off now to see what I can dredge up out of the cobwebs I call my brain.

    Good topic choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo. As I mentioned in your blog. I love your take on this prompt. Take care.

      Delete
  6. I was brought up with my faults highlighted regularly - I wasn't popular, I didn't have enough friends, I wasn't as pretty as such-and-such, if I got anything less than a B on a test it was classed as a failure. Eventually I started to see myself the way they had conditioned me to think.

    It's taken so many years to break that mindset...but every now and again, I can't help but think "they're right".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Loki-Lou for letting me know the impact of constant half-empty view on our children. This is what I am hoping to avoid.
      I am so happy that you are breaking away from that mindset.

      Delete
  7. I definitely prefer to see the glass as half full!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this post and this prompt. I am mostly the glass half full.. Mostly.. :)

    http://magicalmysticalmimi.blogspot.com/2012/11/aw-just-piss-on-it.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love yours. Totally! Just straight to the point :-)

      Thank you for linking up!

      Delete
  9. A dose of positive thinking can really do our world so much more. Love the post Angela! Hoping to write something about this...

    ReplyDelete