Magens Bay --San Thomas

Monday, November 19, 2012

Forever Young ...

Is that possible to reverse aging at all? Well ... have we heard from mothers that said, "Ah ...my children keep me young?" It turns out that they could be right.

Gro Amdam studies aging in bees at Arizona State University has reported witnessing an amazing cognition improving when the old bees have returned their attention back to nursing. She believes that "changes in social behavior could shave years of the human brain as well," Morgen Peck wrote in her article titled, Changing Social Roles Can Reverse Aging.

What Amdam has observed, was as the bees grow older, they usually are scavenging outside the hive. And what she did was she removed young bees from their hives, tricking the old bees to switch their attention to care for their posts. She noticed that those old bees are learning new old skills--skills to care for their brood. When they are tested, majority of them have returned to their former cognitive aptitude. “What we saw was the complete reversal of the dementia in these bees. They were performing exactly as well as young bees,” Amdam says.

Interesting. Apparently the antioxidant PRX6, a protein that exists n human and is thought to protect against neurodegenerative diseases--a generic term for all kinds of diseases that affect neurons in our brain--has increased. Amdam's theory is that when older individuals are performing the tasks that are normally done when we were younger--whether in a hive or in our own society, we are indeed could live Forever Young. Well, until the death angel come for us that is ...

Until next stop,
Journey of Life

10 comments:

  1. love this! Another tidbit of knowledge! And loll, my Tues Tale post will be all about aging...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm doing all sorts of research and writing stuff that I did when I was young, so maybe that will keep me sharp! LOL! However, it does nothing to prevent the breakdown of the body (i.e., arthritis.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about it when I wrote this. Maybe someday, they would find some way to strengthen our bones as well :-)

      Delete
  3. Huh. That's interesting! Turned out to be true after all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting post. I'm all for being forever young. Does this mean they get to change the date on my birth certificate if I stop aging??? LOL. Just kidding!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found with my MIL kept reading and learning new things and it kept her sharp. She took up handwriting analysis in her 90's and would analize each of us. My 87 year old FIL bought a key board and is learning to play. It is fun to watch, and keeps them sharp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the kind of life I want to live in when I am at her/his age. Thank you for inspiring me, Winnie!

      Delete