Magens Bay --San Thomas

Monday, November 19, 2012

Sleeping Beauty


Recently some of you must have heard the Sleeping Beauty from Pennsylvania, a seventeen year old Nicole Delien, who allegedly have been sleeping straights 64 days. She did wake up for couple hours each day to eat which she couldn’t recall at all—in a sleep walking state. She was diagnosed with the disease called Kleine-Levein Syndrome (KLS.) This syndrome is categorized by repeated and unusually long occurrences of excessive sleepiness that affects behavioral and cognitive abilities and hunger, according to the Center for Narcolepsy at the Stanford University School of Medicine. The condition normally affects adolescent

Apparently if the syndrome is present, it could last for days even months, causing the victim to be dysfunctional from normal routines/activities. It is also noted that individuals who suffer from this disease are mostly bedridden and unable to communicate—they are either sleeping or in sleeping walking states.

According to www.cbsnews.com, “No diagnostic medical test can confirm the disease, with patients showing normal results on brain scans, EEGS, and cerebrospinal fluid tests. Stanford University School of Medicine said the rarity of KLS, compared to the high-frequency of flu-like illnesses suggests some patients may be genetically predisposed to the disease.” –cited from http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57552053/17-year-old-pa-woman-battles-sleeping-beauty-syndrome/

Nicole and her parents are trying to spread the awareness about this Sleeping Beauty Syndrome and so is this stop.

Until next stop,
Journey of Life

12 comments:

  1. I heard about her last night on my way home on cosmo radio... wild!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is crazy!! I can't imagine having to deal with something like that. I am so glad you are spreading awareness through your blog.

    Kathy
    http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy. I can't imagine that either ... too wicked!

      Delete
  3. Very weird! I'm always amazed at how many strange illnesses there are in the world - fortunately, most of them are very rare.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't even imagine! Wild! I wonder did she keep a dream book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be interesting to know if she dreams at all...

      Delete
  5. I've heard of this before when I was studying psychology...it's very peculiar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. I really hope not many people has this disease and they would find the cure soon.

      Delete
  6. Better not let my teens hear about this--they'll want out of school for a month!! LOL. Okay seriously, as a parent, I would be scared to death if that were my child. What is the timeframe for recovery??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hubby said this is too scary to tell my girls about. :-) Perhaps he worries that they would want to sleep in ? :-)
      I have no clue about the time frame. From what I have read, she uses the prescribed medicine to lapse the sleeping time.

      Delete