Magens Bay --San Thomas

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

One Moment in My Life...


Jenn from http://www.wine-n-chat.com kicked off the BlogFest party at the beginning of October, and before we knew it, we have reached the end of that month. However, that does not mean the party is over yet! In fact, I am taking you all to embark on a Journey of Life, where each of you would share One Moment in Your Life.

One Moment in My Life ...

The other day when I dropped my younger one off to the school, I saw her running toward the soccer field. Something about the way she ran … the confidence that she portrayed … as if the very air around her shimmered with happiness, as colorful and vibrant as a rainbow. And the vibration was so strong that I could feel it from miles away.





I remember thinking, “This is it. This is the moment that I have been waiting for in my entire life.” Seeing her being confident and happy … made me realize how blessed I am to be her mother.

Seems like it was just yesterday when I was holding her close to my heart, her tears dropping onto my clothes. Then, she had been facing the most challenging obstacle in her life–losing her best friend. For whatever reason it may be, her closest friends had left her behind, one by one–that was the time when I desperately wished I had a magic wand so that I could make everything fine. How I wished!

Gifted children are often lacking in social skills. Perhaps it is the way they are wired intellectually, because somehow their social skills are lagging behind–it is like the missing bits in their brains. Many parents spoon-feed academic materials to their gifted children, thinking that that is what they need the most. In turn by doing so, we have set their social skills even further apart from the other children of their age.

I could feel her pain vividly each time she was hurt emotionally by her lack of social skills. I am blessed to have a gifted child, but her happiness to me is priceless. Countless play-dates were set for her. Countless parties were planned. But to no avail. I searched helplessly each time she was hurt on how to improve her social skills. –Making friends has always come naturally to me so each time I was left clueless, uncertain of what to do. Between her close bond with her sister, her love of writing, her affectionate relationship with my husband and me, and many combinations of things we had tried, somehow she has overcome her hurdle.

Yes! She has traveled a long way. Here I am watching her contentedly as she is running confidently and happily toward her own journey of life.  This moment of my life will never fade away, for it is seared in my heart, an image carved in stone...

Until next stop,
Journey of Life

18 comments:

  1. Angela thank you for being the Host of the Day for BlogFEST 2012. I love the prompt!! Your moment is quite priceless!! Thank you so much for sharing ;)

    Cheers, Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenn for the wonderful BlogFEST 2012! So honor to be one of the hosts.

      Delete
  2. I am so glad you were able to show her the way and not tell her the way. I think kids retain being shown how to treat and expect to be treated much longer when shown. Good job! She has a treasure within her family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was such a sweet and wonderful comment. Really appreciate it.

      Delete
  3. This is such a lovely moment in life that you described!! Happiness is the best thing life has to offer and is all apart of the journey! Well done!

    Kathy
    http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful moment, A. Thank you for sharing. I am so happy for your little girl and for you as a Mom. Thank you for sharing! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Am glad for you both...and as a mom I can understand how you must have felt. Nice way to wrap up this blog fest. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can almost feel your happiness in your writing, Angela. And this prompt was awesome because I was reminded of a moment that, although it happened more than five years ago, gives me an unimaginable rush every time I think of it and, I concede it hadn't crossed my mind for a while! Thanks for helping me remember a precious moment in my life. Hope you enjoy my post at http://afulldegreebelownormal.wordpress.com/2012/10/31/thats-my-new-name-dont-wear-it-out/!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy this brought back your very precious moment in your life.

      Delete
  7. Awww how wonderful! What a brilliant moment for you...you've done an excellent job :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Quite an emotional post. There is no need to be sad about your child. She is different and that's what makes her special. As you said, she has overcome the hurdle. She has powerful gifts that others don't posses.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A very heartfelt post. Glad for both of you.

    Here's my post on one moment of my life

    ReplyDelete